Wednesday 20 July 2011

Quordon Muffin Co. Apple and Custard muffin

The recent trend in ‘Classic British’ style products has filled our shelves’ with everything from designer brand Union jack t-shirts to Royalist tat, most likely thanks in-no-small part to Wills and Kate‘s wedding, the growing hype for the 2012 London Olympics and a bunch of old Etonians in being back government (not that I can comment on politics, after all I blog about junk food). Those associated quaint habits have clearly influenced recent product innovations, attempting to capture (re: cash in) the spirit of both “the good old days” and the national psyche.

I don’t really mind this, so long as there’s a bit of humour and some irony is involved, and this creation is pleasingly perverse as it combines an American –style Muffin with a classic British pudding of stewed Apple and Custard. The packet highlights the concept with the bold union jack colour scheme and London-road sign label proclaiming the ‘Best of British’

With suggestions for it to be eaten either warm or stright from the pack, I chose the latter option.Taking the cake from the wrapper, I was met by the combined aromas of the baked product with a subtle light ‘apple’, and distinctly reminded me of the apple flavour Nutri-grains.

I found it very soft and moist, and thankfully free of that clingy cream of tartar mouth feel that can tarnish commercial bakery products. However, its taste didn’t emphasise either the apple or custard greatly, and only had a subtle suggestion of the fruit coming with the small pieces in the muffin itself. The custard filling felt lost, due to the moist softness of the surrounding muffin and its comparative viscosity. In fact, if I tried to serve similar, I would get an ear-full that it doesn't constitute a liquid. But I digress.

The pleasingly substantial size along with the delightfully soft light texture and mouth feel made it an enjoyable experience, but I was left underwhelmed by the flavour. If it was slightly better developed and had a greater influence Quordon could really be on to something with these re-imagined classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment