Thursday 8 September 2011

Margaret's Country Kitchen Bakewell Tart


There is a newsagents a that I often drift into whenever I pass through the my nearest train station, and they often stock items I rarely see elsewhere. After one particular recent expedition to Another Place, I stopped by and found this tart to satisfy both curiosity and my calorific needs.

As I have already mentioned, any Bakewell themed foodstuff immediately catches my eye, and so I tucked in with little awareness of the brand or reasonable grounds for expectations. The fondant iced topping had deposited its sweet smell through the plastic wrap, an odour that was undemanding and old fashioned, and like-wise tasted like any plain icing sugar and water mix. A glowing glace cherry in the centre completed the expected aesthetic. The pastry case is disappointingly tasteless recalling any number of indistinct, slightly cloying industrial pastry items. Pastry is rarely done well in ready made items, and like those it was cloying and heavy. YUM!

Getting inside the almond sponge was simple and offered a denser contrast (the only time a dense sponge has been a positive) to the damp outer pastry. Light nuttiness played off the sweetness of the icing and jam adequately, and made it rather satisfying, appealing to the lowest common denominator. The jam, a mix of several fruits, actually had a influence to flavour, even tough it was slither of its entirety. So hardly jam-packed, but enough to give it an agreeable sweet fruitiness.

Its hard to really review things like this, since they appeal to the childhood memories and take on the appropriate nostalgic denotations. Therefore I was distinctly unimpressed by this, yet I also found myself contrastingly enjoying it. I felt it was a classically generic cake, the type of product a nice granny would offer alongside a sugary, milky cup of tea if she was extremely fond of you. Good times eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment