Tuesday 13 September 2011

Gu 2 Anytime Chocolate Hazelnut Squares


I can often be found lurking in assorted convenience stores, attempting to source munchies that are little seen or heard about nut like any member of a glorious capitalist society, I am also known to shop in Tesco’s.

It was during one particular shopping trip that I stumbled onto these Gu cake treats positioned as an impulse buy (obviously working upon me) at the end of an isle, and of course in it went to my basket. Essentially, these are a tweak on a Millionaire Shortbread, with a biscuit base topped with a consecutive layer of caramel and, in this case, dark chocolate and hazelnuts.

This, of course, was not made clear in the name upon pack, which is as non-committal and indistinct as beige, but my eyes, and of course mouth, do not deceive me. Inside was what appeared to be a single bar sliced apart into three ‘nibbles’, perfectly sized to savour as a decadent whole. The initial taste is of the salty, soft chocolate biscuit base and hazels on top, which with first bite tastes just like the hazelnut Maryland cookies. Once I started to register the subtle nuttiness, the caramel flavour develops and finishes off with a sweet burst that in turn is restrained by woody nuts and the darker chocolate alongside it

I really enjoyed this, but as with Marylands, I found myself desiring more the moment my mouth is empty, so perhaps three in a pack is a cunning way to get me to spend my money, or keep my waistline in check. Either way, I find it a sad reflection of the times when the modifier ‘millionaire’s’ is diminished as superlative, since here Gu have wrapped an exquisite example up in a horribly contrived name.

No comments:

Post a Comment