Tuesday 9 August 2011

Mrs Crimbles Giant Chocolate Macaroon


I will get it out of the way now; I’m not very familiar with macaroons so my opinion is a shot in the dark really! I’ve been trying a variety of wheat and/or gluten free foods recently out of curiosity initiated by a friend who is intolerant to such stuff and having seen these often in supermarkets, I bought it to taste.

The first thing I noticed was its substantial weight, and its neat star shape. The macaroon itself is soft and gooey, with a crisper crust and moist inner portion. The sweetened coconut is the primary taste, and the vanilla that is also evident pleasantly smoothes it off.

The chocolate meanwhile is very subtle, and when separated away tastes rather poor and nasty. It’s clearly not meant to be appreciated on its own, but rather, in this combination it surprisingly helps augment the other constituents of the macaroon, and becomes harmlessly agreeable.

One must note that the product is very rich on belly, and high in fat (well it is coconut Fool!), so don’t expect a light snack. I found it to be a pleasant luxury that can be enjoyed even if one can consume wheat and gluten, and so my explorations in to local free-from isles will continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment